Researchlab Automated Driving Delft (RADD)

Experiments with automated driving in real-life situations

RADD, opened on 27 June by Minister Melanie Schultz van Haegen, offers an extensive scope for experiments involving automated driving. The RADD offers knowledge institutions, the business sector and government the facilities to test products, concepts or models and to observe traffic in a range of environments varying from a closed environment (enclosed test site, test track) and a semi-closed environment at The Green Village, to testing on public roads and on and around the TU Delft campus. Once these test phases have been completed, the next step can be taken: testing in one of the field labs in the Zuid-Holland region, where the various systems can be monitored and studied over an extended period.

Experiments with automated driving in real-life situations
The technology for self-driving verhicles is 95% ready, but there are still significant challenges in the remaining 5%, particularly in the practical application of the technology. These include purely technical aspects as well as issues concerning acceptance by users, interaction with other traffic, response in unexpected situations and integration into the mobility system. Much of the research is conducted using computer models and in test labs, but to gain really good insights, testing in real-life situations is needed, such as the experiments at The Green Village.

The initiators of the RADD are TU Delft, The Metropolitan Region Rotterdam and The Hague (MRDH), the City of Delft and the province of Zuid-Holland.