Hyundai Power Out

Fuel cell hydrogen car providing electricity to the grid

We drive our cars only 5% of the time. Can’t we use the other 95% better? With fuel cell cars we can. Fuel cell hydrogen cars, such as this Hyundai IX35 FCEV, produce electricity, heat and clean water, which we can use in our houses, schools and offices

A research consortium, led by professor Ad van Wijk, professor Future Energy Systems, department of Process & Energy, faculty 3ME at TU Delft, modified a Hyundai Fuel cell car which now connects to the grid. The converted Hyundai fuel cell car, with a socket which serves as an electric outlet, has capacity of 10 kW. That is sufficient to power on average ten homes.

This project is developed together with Accenda, Hyundai, Gasterra and Stedin. The concept is being tested and demonstrated at The Green Village, at the campus of TU Delft. This integration reduces system energy costs and improves energy reliability. The modification of the car and the grid connection are being tested on several aspects; safety, electric efficiency, quantification of heat and water production, system response. Factors influencing cost of electricity from the car are investigated, such as degradation of the fuel cell.

Scientific paper published
The world’s future energy supply will include intermittent renewable sources, such as solar and wind power. To guarantee reliability of supply, fast‐reacting, dispatchable and renewable back‐up power plants are required.

A promising alternative is parked and grid‐connected hydrogen‐powered fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) in “Vehicle‐to‐Grid“ systems, and is discussed in a recently published scientific article:
Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle‐to‐Grid: Experimental Feasibility and Operational Performance as Balancing Power Plant