On Tuesday 27 June, Minister Melanie Schultz van Haegen opened the Researchlab Automated Driving Delft (RADD) in The Green Village on the TU Delft campus. This research lab offers extensive scope for experiments involving automated driving.
The expectations concerning automated driving are high. According to Professor Bart van Arem, co-initiator of the RADD, the technology is 95% ready, but there are still significant challenges in the remaining 5%, particularly in the practical application of the technology. These include purely technical aspects as well as issues concerning acceptance by users, interaction with other traffic, response in unexpected situations and integration into the mobility system. Much of the research is conducted using computer models and in test labs, but to gain really good insight, testing in real-life situations is needed.
Research in different environments
The RADD offers knowledge institutions, the business sector and government the facilities to test products, concepts or models and to observe traffic in a range of environments varying from a closed environment (enclosed test site, test track) and the semi-closed environment of The Green Village to testing on public roads and on and around the TU Delft campus. Once these test phases have been completed, the next step can be taken: testing in one of the field labs in the Zuid-Holland region, where the various systems can be monitored and studied over an extended period.
More information on the RADD website